Hard to believe as it might be, Alien is 35 years old this year. The venerable horror/action/sci-fi series has exploded in the years since its debut in the tense original film from Ridley Scott and now the staple hero of the franchise, Sigourney Weaver’s Ellen Ripley is being prepped for plastic immortality.
“As we celebrate the 35th anniversary of one of the most successful film franchises of all time, we are thrilled to introduce an array of commemorative products across different categories in partnership with iconic brands including NECA, SEGA and many more,” said Jeffrey Godsick, president of Fox Consumer Products. “In addition to the highly anticipated release of Alien: Isolation™, hardcore fans can finally add Lieutenant Ellen Ripley to their ALIEN collections as we welcome her NECA figures into the family of officially-licensed merchandise. Many other exciting first-time and limited edition products will also release to celebrate this exciting milestone this year.”
And basically, that means Ripley isn’t the only big time release for NECA or the Alien brand itself on the calendar this year. There’s plenty of other cool stuff coming as well, which should be music to the ears of fans. You better believe you can expect much more in the way of action figures from NECA, as well as stuff from high-end collectible maker Sideshow, Titan press and lots more – including that very interesting looking game from SEGA mentioned above, Alien: Isolation.
Though she isn’t the only release, Ripley is easily one of the most hotly anticipated; I don’t think there’s much of a debate on that. One of the biggest female leads in science fiction of any sort, Ripley blazed her way into film immortality and is a favorite character of many an Alien fan. NECA actually has a few figures planned for the character including one in her Nostromo jumpsuit from the first (Oscar-nominated) Alien film, which’ll be followed up by a version of her as she appeared in 1986’s Aliens from director Jim Cameron (my personal favorite of the series). Past those two, who knows, but if they sell well, I don’t think it’d be too crazy of an assumption to think that we’ll get to see her from other Aliens movies as well.
All-in-all, here’s what’s on tap for this year:
- Bandai – Bandai’s premium collectors label “Tamashii Nations” will release super-articulated S.H.MonsterArts figures featuring diecast material. S.H.MonsterArts ALIEN Big Chap will be available May 2014.
- Dark Horse Comics – A new comics program will debut later this year which includes Alien, Prometheus, Predator and Aliens vs. Predator.
- Diamond Select Toys and Collectibles – New collectibles including MiniMates block figures, vinyl banks, bottle openers and a reproduction of the original 18-inch Alien figure, available this summer/fall.
- Insight Editions will produce a highly-illustrated and a detailed guidebook to the Alien creature.
- NECA – Figures, board games, bobbleheads, plush and toys will hit major retail stores beginning in March 2014. Prototypes of the Ripley figures will debut later this summer at San Diego Comic-Con.
- SEGA – The highly-anticipated first person survival horror game Alien: Isolation will be available on PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360 and PC in late 2014.
- Sideshow Collectibles – High end, limited edition Alien franchise products, including an immense bust of the Big Chap Alien design, available for pre-order in April 2014! Check out www.SideshowCollectibles.com for Alien Franchise products, and more!
- Super7 x Funko – Glasses and retro ReAction Figures currently available online.
- Titan Books will release all-new canon fiction novels based on the film franchise, followed by a 35th anniversary retrospective called “ALIEN: Archives” which will be the most comprehensive book ever created about the ALIEN franchise with new exclusive interviews with Ridley Scott and Sigourney Weaver and content that has never been released.
Other partners include Hollywood Collectibles for highly-detailed prop replicas, Upper Deck for an all-new collectible card game,Hallmark for ornaments, Square Enix for Aliens: Colonial Marines Play Arts KAI action figures, Titan Merchandise for stylized mini vinyl figurines, Rizzoli for wall calendars and Rubie’s Costume Company for amazingly detailed Halloween costumes in addition to even more partners with apparel and additional collectible merchandise to be released throughout the year.