The showcase of the immortals is finally back. After talking some time off, 2K has a reinvigorated WWE 2K22 ringing the bell for a return this March.
Out of retirement
It’s been a rocky road for the WWE 2K series. Publisher 2K’s wrestling title was all the rage as of WWE 2K19, but then came 2020’s edition. The grappler was loaded with problems, and had fans turning back the clock to play that previous installment.
Actually, 2K was pretty much begged to keep the servers running way past their scheduled termination date (and it did) just so fans could keep playing. But that’s all in the past now, as WWE 2K is most definitely back. Or at least, it soon will be, as WWE 2K22 is dated to arrive this March. When it does make its re-debut, it’ll be with overhauled controls, updated graphics, and modes of play.
When 2K says it “Hits Different”, they mean it
From the redesigned gameplay engine to new controls and upgraded visuals, WWE 2K22 is set to look, feel, play, and “Hit Different.” The engine, coupled with WWE 2K’s most stunning graphics to date, ensures an unprecedented level of realism for the franchise. Alongside an updated and intuitive control scheme, as well as an immersive presentation and varied camera angles, players will feel the pressure and reward of every punch, kick, and slam.
Popular game modes including the returning 2K Showcase – starring Rey Mysterio – incorporate new features and updates, allowing players to relive the iconic moments behind Mysterio’s most famous matches. In MyRISE, players chart their own paths to superstardom. With Universe Mode and the upgraded Creation Suite, WWE 2K22 offers players the ability to fully customize their WWE experience down to the smallest details. From taking control over brands, premium live events, match results, rivalries, and more – or creating the ultimate custom Superstar personas, arenas, and championships – players can share all their creations with the global WWE 2K22 community with first-time-ever, cross-platform sharing.
In addition, WWE 2K22 will introduce new modes to the WWE 2K experience: MyGM and MyFACTION. In MyGM, players step into the role of a WWE General Manager and call the shots on their way to building the biggest brand in the WWE Universe. From drafting the ultimate roster of WWE Superstars and Legends to developing iconic rivalries and championship showdowns, players will get the chance to take the reins and prove themselves on sports entertainment’s biggest stages. With the franchise-first MyFACTION mode, players can collect and manage their dream faction with weekly events and regular updates, providing tremendous challenges and replay value.2K
Along with all the new additions, 2K is prepping a trio (and then some) of editions for fans to pick from. On the cover of almost all of them though, is 90s WCW/WWE legend, Rey Mysterio.
“Representing the culture of lucha libre as the cover Superstar for WWE 2K22 is a moment of great pride for me,” said Rey Mysterio. “I’m looking forward to sharing the stories behind the big moments of my career with a dedicated community of players and connecting with WWE fans in a whole new way as they play through my 2K Showcase.”Rey Mysterio
Given that Rey’s on the cover, you might be wondering what’s up with the nWo being the header for this article. Well, there’s a simple answer to that. Aside from the fact that they’re (still) awesome, the heel faction will be gracing the cover of the nWo 4-Life Digital Edition.
It’s just one of the choices that players will be able to make, when picking out which version of 2K22 to buy. If you’re a fan of the group, then you’re going to want to check out what it has to offer.
Scroll down for the full details, including launch dates.
- The Standard Edition will be available for $59.99 on previous-gen platforms (PlayStation® 4, Xbox One consoles and PC) and for $69.99 on current-gen consoles (PlayStation® 5 and Xbox Series X|S) in both physical and digital formats;
- The Cross-Gen Bundle will be available for $79.99 and includes the digital Standard Edition and the Starrcade ’96 Rey Mysterio Pack across previous and current-gen within the same PlayStation and Xbox consoles;*
- The Deluxe Edition will be available for $99.99 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S in both physical and digital formats, and on PC in digital format. The Deluxe Edition includes the Standard Edition plus the Undertaker Immortal Pack; a Season Pass to all five post-launch DLC content packs; the MyRISE Mega-Boost andSuperCharger packs; limited edition WWE® SuperCard content** (included in-box for physical copies only). The Deluxe Edition will be available from March 8, 2022 – three days early!*** Players who purchase the PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X|S edition will also receive the Starrcade ’96 Rey Mysterio Pack;
- The nWo 4-Life Digital Edition will be available for $119.99 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC. Celebrating 25 years of the faction that turned the sports entertainment world on its head, in addition to the Standard Edition, and all bonus content included in the Deluxe Edition, the nWo 4-Life Edition comes with MyFACTION EVO Cards and alternate nWo attires for Hollywood Hogan, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, and Syxx plus a playable Eric Bischoff character, WCW Souled Out 1997 and WCW Bash at the Beach 1996 arenas, and the nWo Wolfpac Championship. The nWo 4-Life Edition will also be available from March 8, 2022 – three days early! ***;
- Pre-Order Bonuses: Players who pre-order the Standard Edition and Cross-Gen Digital Bundle will also receive the Undertaker Immortal Pack, which includes three additional Undertaker personas, MyFACTION EVO cards for Undertaker, plus MyFACTION Perks and Bonuses, including an Undertaker MyFACTION Logo Card, Undertaker MyFACTION Wallpaper Card, and Undertaker MyFACTION Nameplate Card****. This pack is also included in the Deluxe Edition and nWo 4-Life Edition at launch.
Ring the bell, the action officially starts once again on March 11th.