Activision has released a few new screenshots and plenty of details for the latest zombie expansion for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.
The dead rise again
If you’re a Call of Duty zombies fan, then you knew this was coming. Chances are too, that you were pretty pumped for Operation Apocalypse Z. What we have here is the latest in a series of “community events” for Black Ops 4. As you might gather, Apocalypse Z is all about the undead. The DLC is set to bring a little of the game’s famous zombies mode to every corner of the main game.
No, that doesn’t mean that you’ll encounter zombies in standard multiplayer maps. You will though, find an “eerie atmosphere” added to the Blackout mode. And there’ll be special “zombies” themed personalization goodies for you to customize your character with. More than just that though, the Aether storyline of zombies makes its triumphant return too.
All together, there’s an impressive mix of free and paid DLC on the way. As usual this generation, it’ll all be coming to the PlayStation first, followed by all other platforms.
Welcome to Alpha Omega
“We have a team of talented storytellers that have been helping to craft Zombies experiences for more than 10 years, and we wanted to bring that imagination to every mode of Black Ops 4, which is why we’re excited to put Operation Apocalypse Z in player’s hands,” said Dan Bunting, Co-Studio Head, Treyarch. “This is a veteran team that strives to do their best work with each new experience and this is no exception – Operation Apocalypse Z represents a ton of creativity and passion from everyone to really immerse fans in our unique world of the undead.”Activision press release
“We can’t wait for the Zombies faithful to experience Alpha Omega, which marks the return of the Aether story and the opportunity to play as both the Primis and Ultimis crews – it’s a unique mix of gameplay that has truly been inspired by our community of fans,” said Mark Gordon, Co-Studio Head, Treyarch. “This map is over four times larger and features more dialogue than the Nuketown you’ve played before, and combined with everything else that’s coming in Operation Apocalypse Z, this is our most exciting season to date.”
Some of what’s included in this new content drop is indeed free of charge. That includes:
- New Blackout Updates – As the Zombie apocalypse has begun, sunny skies have departed in favor of something more un-deadly in the main Blackout map. Zombies have leeched most of the life from the landscape forcing the alive to take refuge and survive amongst a deep fog and familiar Zombies sights and sounds. Additionally, the Alcatraz map debuts a nighttime atmospheric change complete with new Zombie enemies. Coming later in the Operation, brand-new Zombie-themed Blackout modes will also debut in the game, including Pandemic and Alcatraz Horde.
- New Specialist – Available now in both Multiplayer and Blackout, Reaper makes his Black Ops 4 debut. Reaper is a cutting-edge combat robot with a robust fighting style wielding the Scythe, a high-powered, two-handed minigun unleashing heavy gunfire. This fan-favorite Specialist is also equipped with a Radar Shroud that prohibits enemies from using their minimap and deploys a scrambling device to block out areas on enemies’ minimap.
- New Black Market Gear – The Black Market has been restocked with a variety of new Zombie-themed Specialist outfits and personalization items, weapon camos and gestures for Operation Apocalypse Z. This includes new weapons like the Reaver C86 Crossbow, Black Ops III’s Argus Shotgun, Daemon 3XB Mastercraft, MOG 12 MKll and Vendetta MKll that players can acquire and master.
- New Zombies Features – Operation Apocalypse Z introduces new Perks and Elixirs across all Zombies maps, providing new variations on gameplay once they’re equipped and activated.
And what’s paid?
As you’d expect, even with that sizable inclusion of free stuff, the best new downloadables are of the paid variety. You’ll get all of the following if you have the season pass though. So for some of the CoD faithful out there, you kind of already own this and just need to hit the download.
- New Multiplayer Map, Der Schatten – A snowy map set in a village high in the Austrian Alps that sits in the shadows of the castle from the Aether story Zombies experience, “Der Eisendrache.” Combat takes place in a combination of bright and dark areas pushing player to fight in close quarters.
- New Multiplayer Map, Remnant – A large-sized map set in the “The Museum of Unnatural History” deep in the Louisiana marshes where historical relics thirst for chaos and blood. Complete with a portal that can transport players to opposite sides of the map, Remnant is structured for mid-ranged combat where longer sightlines flank the exterior of the museum.
- Remastered Multiplayer Map, Havana – Reimagined from the original Call of Duty: Black Ops, Havana is a medium-sized map set in a sunny Cuban city during the Cold War tensions. The map is designed in a Z-shape resulting in a combination of close and long-ranged firefights.
- New Zombies Experience, Alpha Omega – Continuing the Aether storyline, Alpha Omega lets players jump in as the original, fan-favorite Zombies characters from both the Primis and Ultimis cast, playable together for the first time ever. This allows fans to gain new insight into the ever-twisting story as the timelines converge. Players will fight off hordes of new Zombie enemies, solve challenges, and discover new Easter eggs in a wild experience up to the very end.