It seems like DC is finally ready for its grand return to Comic Con for 2023, as the publisher has some big plans for a big show. And yes, a shop too.
It’s been a while since SDCC felt like, well, SDCC. That’s understandable really, since the pandemic years were rough ones for any show or con, let alone one of the biggest on Earth.
At this point though, San Diego is definitely back, and maybe better than ever since the more ‘Hollywood’ aspects of the show seem to be fading. And yes, that actually is a good thing, since the Con was always meant to be a hub for comics first and foremost.
Speaking of the art form, DC’s plans have just been announced. Dwindling back in 2019, as go show appearances, DC Comics is seemingly back in a big way for the big show, and looks like it’ll have a more substantial footprint than the company has had in years.
DC took the wraps off of its plans for the Con yesterday, which will include a booth on the show floor (#4645) that will house a shop loaded with limited edition stuff from McFarlane Toys and Cartamundi. Past that though, there will also be an advance screening of Max’ “Superpowered: The DC Story”, the World Premiere of “Justice League: Warworld”, and paneling that will include “Jim Lee and Friends”.
Below you’ll find a taste of what the store will have for you to take home, in addition to a full rundown on the panels. Signings and both in-booth and off-site events are planned as well, though those haven’t been detailed just yet. So basically, stay tuned.
On sale in the shop
- DC Shop will be offering fans limited inventory of three new Blue Beetle t-shirts, a “Dawn of DC” enamel pin, t-shirt and zip-front hoodie, t-shirts with new artwork commissioned from Bill Sienkiewicz, Jill Thompson, Eric Tan and Phantom City Creative, limited quantities of DC caps from 9Forty, a Gotham City Classics Batmobile Collector Pin Setfeaturing the 1966, 1989, 1992 and 1995 Batmobiles (along with a convention-exclusive mystery pin), and more. The complete DC Shop lineup of comics, books, and merchandise will be revealed soon!
- McFarlane Toys (www.mcfarlanetoys.com), founded by legendary comic book artist and writer, Todd McFarlane, is a global toy company, industry leader, and innovator. McFarlane Toys and DC are partnering to bring iconic and fan-favorite characters to life at SDCC in the DC Booth. McFarlane Toys will be offering pre-orders on DC action figures, poly-resin statues, and will have DC Multiverse and DC Direct product for sale (while supplies last). As a design driven company known for unparalleled attention to detail, McFarlane Toys will have a few surprises for fans to be revealed in the coming weeks!
- Cartamundi, the worldwide leader in playing cards, will be unveiling the newest collection of DC Hybrid Trading Cards by Hro at the DC Booth during San Diego Comic-Con. DC Hybrid Trading Cards allow fans to collect designs showcasing iconic art from DC’s comic book history, including fan-favorite characters like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and so many more. Scan the QR code on the back of each card to unlock its digital twin and join the Hro community. Visit the Hro website on July 12th to learn more about this new collection.
- 10:30-11:30am. Building the DC Universe on WEBTOON – Marie Javins (DC Editor-in-Chief), David Lee (VP of content for WEBTOON), CRC Payne (Batman: Wayne Family Adventures), Manou Azumi (Vixen: NYC), Patrick Young (Red Hood), and moderatorRosie Knight (Den of Geek) discuss bringing classic DC Super Heroes to WEBTOON.Room 4
- 11:00-12:30pm. Max Original Animation Presents – Join Max Original Animation for a celebration of new and returning animated series including an expansion in the “Adventure Time” universe, ADVENTURE TIME: FIONNA & CAKE; a new animated series YOUNG LOVE, based on the characters from Matthew A. Cherry and Sony Pictures Animation’s Oscar-winning animated short, “Hair Love”; and a preview of the upcoming fourth season for the fan-favorite HARLEY QUINN. The panel will feature exclusive sneak peeks, surprise guests, and more that you won’t want to miss! The panel will be moderated by Damian Holbrook (TV Guide Magazine). Ballroom 20
- 11:30-12:30pm. Between Two Toms – DC’s Tom King (Wonder Woman) and Tom Taylor(Titans) are kicking off San Diego Comic-Con together by discussing comics, and more. Celebrity guests between the Toms this year will include Nicola Scott (Titans) and Mitch Gerads (Batman: The Brave and the Bold). Room 6DE
- 12:45-1:45pm. Gotham City – Whether it’s in the past, present, or future, Gotham City has been the backdrop for some of the greatest stories in DC history featuring Batman, his allies and his foes. Join DC storytellers Tom King, Tini Howard, Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing, Ram V, Belén Ortega and a surprise guest or two to find out what’s to come for The Dark Knight and the other Super Heroes and Super-Villains that make Gotham City the place to be in the DCU! Room 6DE
- 12:30-1:30pm. Dawn of DC – With epic new storylines, over 20 exciting new titles, superstar creative teams, and villains that have pushed the Super Heroes beyond their limits in bold adventures, the “Dawn of DC” has been in full swing all year. Hear directly from some of the superstar writers and artists behind your favorite stories, including Ram V. (Detective Comics),Joshua Williamson (Batman & Robin), Nicola Scott (Titans), Tom King (Wonder Woman), Joanne Starer (Fire and Ice), Josh Trujilo (Blue Beetle) andTom Taylor (Titans). Room 6DE
- 1:45-2:45pm. Dawn of DC: Knight Terrors – It’s not all just a dream! The next chapter of “Dawn of DC” is here and Knight Terrors architect Joshua Williamson (Knight Terrors)with special guests Jeremy Adams (Knight Terrors: Green Lantern), Dennis Culver(Knight Terrors: Zatanna) and more preview what haunts the dreams of DC Super Heroes and Super-Villains. Room 6DE.
- 6:00-7:00pm. Jim Lee & Friends – Jim Lee (DC President, Publisher and Chief Creative Officer)is on hand to bring out a few of his friends for discussions and reveals that will have everyone talking long after the Con is over! You won’t want to miss this. Room 6A
- 9:00-11:00pm. Justice League: Warworld – Be among the first fans to see Warner Bros. Animation’s all-new, feature-length film “Justice League: Warworld” at this World Premiere screening. In this R-rated film, DC’s Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman find themselves in mysterious lands and precarious circumstances with no memory of how they arrived there and only vague recollections of their true selves. There will also be a panel discussion in addition to the World Premiere screening. “Justice League: Warworld” will be available to own on Digital, 4K Ultra HDTM and Blu-rayTM on July 25, 2023. Ballroom 20
- 12:30-1:30pm. The World of Metropolis – Superman isn’t the only force to be reckoned with in Metropolis. The top comic book writers and artists working on stories in the City of Tomorrow, including Joshua Williamson (Superman), Sina Grace (Superman: The Harvests of Youth), Phillip Kennedy Johnson (Action Comics) and a few more surprise guests, provide exclusive details on what fans can expect in some of the most action-packed comics. Room 6DE
- 11:15-12:15pm. DC Books for Young Readers – DC showcases some of the creators behind the publisher’s popular middle-grade and young adult graphic novels, with exciting announcements about titles arriving soon! Star writers and artists will be discussing their projects, including Nicole Maines (Bad Dream: A Dreamer Story), Sina Grace(Superman: The Harvests of Youth), Penelope and Jerry Gaylord (Diana and the Hero’s Journey; Clark & Lex), Jeffrey Brown (Batman and Robin and Howard), and Jim Benton(Fann Club: Batman Squad), with a surprise guest. Room 6DE