It’s a (mostly) new ballgame for EPIX, as the channel is becoming MGM+, and will be streaming a mix of brand new and returning content this month.
It’s a little bit of a swap for EPIX, a channel that pretty much anyone who has or has had cable TV should know. The movie provider has been around for a good while after all, though will now be making some pretty big changes, and entering a whole new era.
That has begun with a name-change, to MGM+. One of the biggest movie brands and houses of all time, the shift is kind of an obvious one, and will be the streaming service’s designation from here on out. As mentioned too, it’s not the only change.
MGM+ has a number of pieces of original programming for fans to check out, that’ll be supplementing the incredible catalog of movies it stocks. And also as mentioned, those include both brand new shows and docs, and some that have been picked up.
It’ll actually be kicking off with one of those, Godfather of Harlem, starring Forest Whitaker, and created by Narcos’ Chris Brancato and Paul Eckstein. Season 3 of that show will launch with the platform, on January 15th.
“It’s a new beginning for our service, as we introduce MGM+ and its distinctive brand promise to viewers on January 15. MGM+ will deliver on its iconic and beloved studio legacy, with cinematic, sophisticated, and transportive storytelling that audiences love,” said Michael Wright, head of MGM+. “We are growing our rich library of content, comprised of original television series and blockbuster films that celebrate the MGM brand.”Michael Wright, head of MGM+
Along with the launch date and title, a few other reveals for key shows were announced today. You saw some of those in the video above, mixed in with the movie collection that will obviously be the backbone of MGM+. But even with the films considered, the streamer is planning a robust selection of original shows anyway.
Confirmed releases include:
- A Spy Among Friends, (March 12th) based on the New York Times best-selling book written by Ben Macintyre, stars Golden Globe- and Emmy-winning actor Damian Lewis (Homeland, Billions), Emmy winner Guy Pearce (Jack Irish, Mare of Easttown), and Anna Maxwell Martin (Motherland, Line of Duty).
- FROM (April 23rd) features a stellar ensemble cast led by Harold Perrineau (Lost), and is created and executive produced by John Griffin (Crater), directed and executive produced by Jack Bender (Lost, Game of Thrones, Mr. Mercedes), and executive produced by showrunner Jeff Pinkner (Fringe, Alias, Lost).
- Murf the Surf, (February 5th) based on the life of infamous jewel thief Jack Roland Murphy, is written and directed by Emmy winner R.J. Cutler (Billie Eilish: The World’s a Little Blurry, Belushi) and executive produced by Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer and Ron Howard.
And here’s what you can expect a little further down the road too:
- Rogue Heroes Season Two (2024)
- Billy the Kid Season Two
- The Emperor of Ocean Park
- Hoodlum (Based on the 1997 MGM film)
- Earth Abides
- American Classic
- Hot Stuff
- The Devil Within
- Wonderland Murders & the Secret History of Hollywood