The beta test for Hard West 2 has officially opened, and sends would-be players back into the supernatural frontier of the original’s first sequel.
Hard, but early
If you remember, Hard West was a pretty unique title. Though there’ve been a few games like it since, Hard West set players into a turn-based, strategic world plagued by the supernatural.
Now that same paranormal frontier is coming back, and it all starts here with the new beta test. Available on PC, the beta offers up “a small slice of the game’s full campaign”. You’ll get to experience the new Bravado system in it, which rewards aggression, and test out a few of the game’s special abilities (and hear Kevin Conroy!).
From the press release:
- Conquer the Dark Frontier: When first-class con man Gin Carter raids a legendary “ghost train” in search of gold, he discovers it haunted by the Devil himself! Now Gin must lead a posse of strange outlaws to save his soul in a land claimed by darkness. Explore the frozen wastelands and lawless frontier towns of the Wild West in a desperate battle against the living and undead.
- Unleash Your Bravado: Rack up kills to activate the new Bravado State and replenish your Action Points. Rush out of cover, go on the offensive, and chain together stylish kills to extend your streak as you take down anyone or anything brazen enough to stand in your way.
- Shootouts on the Move: Hard West 2’s turn-based combat is set in dynamically shifting environments, keeping your brain as busy as your trigger. Let your Western imagination run wild, from horseback chases to tense train holdups, as you hone your strategic skills to a fine edge.
- Supercharged Posse: Unearth mysterious playing cards to build your crew’s poker hands. Arm them with guns, explosives, trinkets, or just some beans and whiskey to keep them in top shape.
- Unnatural Leader: Responsibility for your growing posse of gunslinging outlaws, witches and other mysterious beings lands at your boots. Make the right calls to get more Loyalty Points and new skills for those closest to you, but choosing poorly will test their commitment to your cause.
- The Good, the Bad & the Undead: Wild West folk tales and the occult collide in a character-driven story featuring the voice talents of Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series), Darien Sills-Evans (Days Gone) and Adam Gifford (The Colony), plus a score by BAFTA Award winner Jason Graves (Dead Space) and story co-written by Origins Awards winner and New York Times bestseller Matt Forbeck (Deadlands).
Available exclusively via Steam, Hard West 2’s beta is open and is running now through June 9th, 2022.