QuakeCon has dealt it’s first big surprise, in the form of an enhanced re-release of the very first Quake title. Oh, and it’s out right now too.
Looks like the rumors were true, and Quake is indeed back in action. That’s the original Quake by the way, the one with the nailguns and lightning cannons. The game was announced at QuakeCon (@ Home) today, but that’s not all. It’s actually out right now, and packed with content.
Quake’s enhanced re-release includes the original game of course, but also all 3 expansion packs, and a brand new one called Dimension of the Machine. Also added in is support for mods and missions, just like the recent Doom re-releases (and yes, they promise to be free).
The finer points of Quake:
- The Original Quake, Enhanced
- Experience the authentic, updated, and visually enhanced version of the original Quake. Featuring resolutions up to 4K and widescreen resolution support, enhanced models, dynamic and color lightning, anti-aliasing, depth of field, and the original soundtrack and theme song by Trent Reznor. There has never been a better time to relive or experience Quake for the first time.
- Online, Cross-play, & Local Multiplayer and CO-OP
- Fight through the dark fantasy base campaign and expansions in 4-player online or local split-screen co-op, and compete in pure, retro-style combat with support for 8-player (online) or 4-player (local split-screen) matches. Featuring cross-play between all platforms and dedicated server support for online matchmaking and peer-to-peer support for custom matches.
- Original and New Expansions Included
- Quake also comes with both original expansion packs: “The Scourge of Armagon” and “Dissolution of Eternity,” as well as two expansions developed by the award-winning team at MachineGames: “Dimension of the Past,” and the all-new “Dimension of the Machine.”
Quake, enhanced and re-released is out right now for the Xbox One (including Game Pass), PS4, Switch, and PC. It’s also backwards compatible for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, with a 4K and 120 FPS performance on the way soon as a free upgrade.