The multiplayer test for Titanfall 2 is coming much sooner than you might think.
What’s not to like about giant robots?
The first Titanfall game was multiplayer only, which kind of disappointed some. To me though, that’s more than a little understandable. After all, the universe that EA and Respawn Entertainment have crafted is really freaking neat, and with little to no story, well, let’s say that I wasn’t into it. Titanfall 2 though, that’s another story.
With a full-on single player campaign and the promise of driving one of those lovely mechs through it, it’s a whole new ballgame. While that’s true though, it’s also true that the multiplayer will be making a return. It’s not the only show this time though, which I think only helps. After all, ‘variety is the spice’ in space wars. Or something like that.
And with that in mind, the first taste of the game that you’ll get will be of the multiplayer variety. This’ll be a straight-up test of the servers and stability of two of the game’s modes. In all, you’ll be playing across only two maps too, so not much will be given away with this early (and open) look.
Things kick off on Friday, August 19th on the PS4 and Xbox One. That’s right, no PC beta will be available, so read into that what you like. As for the full game, Titanfall 2 hits for consoles and the PC (via Origin) on October 28th.
Here’s what you can expect from the first week of beta
- Bounty Hunt (5v5):A brand new mode that pits Pilots and their teammates against an opposing team as well as the Remnant Fleet. Earn bonuses by killing grunts and enemies, but make sure and deposit all your points at the bank between waves without getting killed.
- Pilots vs. Pilots (8v8):Players can be the best Pilot on the Frontier and put their combat and mobility skills to the ultimate test in this classic 8 vs 8 Pilots only mode.
- Boomtown: A secret underground IMC facility where the latest in R&D is put to the test. In this facility Pilots can use the many peaked roofs to use as cover against combatants below. With tight lanes through the middle, Titans can also be easily ambushed.
- Homestead: The IMC have claimed Eminent Domain on a small commune’s plot of land. With a series of raised, rocky plateaus and a river running down the middle, Pilots are mostly safe from Titans among the rocks and trees but they also can duck into the caves and building when needed. However, the Titans control the large rolling fields.
And the second week
During the second weekend of the Titanfall 2 open multiplayer technical test, all the content from the previous weekend will still be available, plus a brand new mode and map for players to enjoy:
- Amped Hardpoint (6v6):A new twist on Hardpoint Domination from the original game; now defending a Hardpoint will let you amp it, giving your team double score. Team work is the key to securing victory.
- Forward Base Kodai: Militia forces have taken over an IMC substation and set up a forward operating base. Pilots can find safety from Titans in the hallways and chambers of the main building, while Titans can walk over the roof to get a better view of the action.