Are you surprised that there’s an “inverted castle” in a Metroidvania by Koji Igarashi? Bloodstained is looking awesome (and massive) either way.
Ritual of the Night
Kept a secret till now, Bloodstained will indeed offer an inverted castle to play through. Though, that’s not easy to tell from that trailer. They show it only for a quick second at the close. The inverse castle will be playable in addition to the “rightside up” version. Presumably that’s where Bloodstained’s main story will play out.
It doesn’t seem like the game will be lacking in play area either. Igarashi is the “father” of the genre, so he knows what he’s doing, and the Bloodstained map sounds impressive. 505 Games promises that Ritual of the Night will offer Igarashi’s largest castle ever. It’s set to be “double the size” of his previous efforts.
In addition, Bloodstained will give players plenty to do, with seemingly more than your average Metroidvania.
Here are the bullets from the press release:
- IGAVANIA LIVES ON – Koji Igarashi, one of the renowned godfathers of the Metroidvania genre, is creating a new, modern side scrolling action RPG experience that will satisfy long-time fans of his celebrated work.
- VAST AND DEEP GAMEPLAY – Unlock spells and powers, find, craft and upgrade several types of weapons and special items to change Miriam’s appearance, mix and match gear and abilities to find your playstyle.
- HIGH FIDELITY 2.5 GRAPHICS – Everything in Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is rendered in loving 3D detail on a 2D side scrolling environment that changes and evolves as you play.
- ORCHESTRAL MUSIC BY INDUSTRY LEGENDS – Featuring music from industry icons Michiru Yamane (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon) and Ippo Yamada (Resident Evil, Mega Man).
- IGA’S BIGGEST CASTLE – The Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night game world is the largest of Koji Igarashi’s entire career, with a map size nearly double that of his previous games.
- MULTIPLE CHARACTERS TO CHOOSE FROM – Aside from the enigmatic Miriam, there are secret playable characters awaiting discovery.
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night stakes consoles and the PC this summer.