F-Zero: Maximum Velocity and Super Mario Bros 3 arrive on the eShop along with some decent sale prices on Assassin’s Creed 4 and ZombiU.
It’s kind of an interesting week here in the eShop with a good mix of new and old hitting all at once. The old might be more interesting than the new this week though since we’re looking at the reappearance of the F-Zero franchise. The long neglected futuristic racer has been something of an afterthought for Nintendo, despite some very solid fan response and a decent amount of outcry for a new game in the series.
It’s probably no small miracle then that we’ve even gotten a Virtual Console release for the most recent title in the F-Zero line, Maximum Velocity. Originaly released on the GameBoy Advance back in 2001. I really don’t remember too much about the game, but honestly, any F-Zero is a good thing these days.
Alongside the zero-G racing you’ll find Super Mario Bros 3 coming to both he 3DS and the Wii U this week. If you haven’t played this one, or don’t have it in your collection in some form, it’s kind of a ‘must own’ as SMB3 is pretty widely recognized as a classic of the genre and one of the best titles in the Mario series.
So those are the highlights of the ‘old’, the ‘new’ this week includes LEGO The Hobbit on Wii U, which looks like a good time and there are a few pretty nice sales too, so I’ll just let you read on and take it all in… then get to downloading F-Zero. Maybe if somebody actually buys the re-release, we’ll get a shot at another full-fledged retail title.
- Virtual Console on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
- Super Mario Bros. 3 – April is a month to remember with classic games launching each week! This NES classic, one of the most well-known and beloved video games of all time, is now available as a Virtual Console title on both the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems. Follow Mario and Luigi as they leave the Mushroom Kingdom to travel to the seven distinct worlds that neighbor it. Help the famous brothers fly above the action using the Super Leaf, swim faster by donning the Frog Suit or defeat enemies using the Hammer Bros. Suit. Are you ready to experience gaming bliss? Click here to check out the trailer for Super Mario Bros. 3.
- Virtual Console on Wii U
- Golden Sun –Forces of darkness are pursuing the lost art of Alchemy. As they draw ever closer to their foul purpose, mankind hangs in the balance. You and your companions are the last hope. In the Golden Sun game, use noble weapons, magical Psynergy and elemental creatures known as Djinn to get the upper hand in dangerous battles. Combining Djinn in different ways will allow you to create powerful spells and attacks against deadly foes. Can you prevent the oncoming darkness? Click here to check out the trailer for Golden Sun.
- F-Zero: Maximum Velocity –Whether you’re a veteran of the Super NES version or a racing rookie, you’ll need some practice laps to master this Game Boy Advance classic. Master 20 different tracks across four difficulty levels to prove you’ve got what it takes to rank among the galaxy’s most elite racers. Put the pedal to the metal and get busy boosting, bumping and jumping your way to intergalactic glory. Click here to check out the trailer for F-Zero: Maximum Velocity.
- Nintendo eShop on Wii U
- LEGO The Hobbit – In LEGO The Hobbit, follow the Hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he is recruited by the Wizard Gandalf to aid Thorin Oakenshield and his Company of Dwarves. The Wii U game will be available on April 22.
- Nintendo eShop Sale
- Classic Games Overload – Starting today through 9 a.m. PT on May 1, get Classic Games Overload for 50 percent off in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.
Also new this week:
- Flowerworks HD: Follie’s Adventure (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
- My First Songs (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
- Bit Boy!! ARCADE (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
- Smash Cat Heroes (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
- Assassin’s Creed® IV Black Flag™ (Nintendo eShop on Wii U) – Starting April 21, the price of Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag is being reduced from $59.99 to $39.99.
- ZombiU™ (Nintendo eShop on Wii U) – Starting April 21, the price of first-person horror game ZombiU is being reduced from $59.99 to $29.99.