The third Age of Wonders title has just hit the PC with plenty of ‘new’ for longtime fans of the series and newcomers alike.
Triumph Entertainment’s fantasy turn-based, strategy RPG rolls on with the third title in the series. What’s that? RPG? Yep, that’s right, Triumph has upped the ante this time around with classes and specializations that are straight from the role-playing handbook, while still offering players the same strategic gameplay that they expect from an AoW title. And according to studio Director Lennart Sas, that was all part of the plan to really open up the game’s world and allow gamers to play how they want.
“After 39 months of hard work, we’re finally letting our baby out into the world. We’re excited to let people finally return to the game they loved so much,” said Lennart Sas, Development Director at Triumph Studios. “The new classes and specializations let players choose to play the way THEY want, rather than being hemmed in by the typical fantasy restrictions.”
All in all, this is a massive upgrade over the previous game in more than just the RPG elements. If you’ve played Age of Wonders before, here’s what’s waiting to greet you now:
- Explore, expand and exploit a living fantasy world. Discover wondrous locations and gather legendary heroes.
- Develop your domain, with many classes having the ability to change terrain and climates to suit your needs.
- All new 3D graphics that provide a crisper and more detailed overview of the world and battle maps.
- New styles of play are possible with the introduction of RPG style leader classes like warlord, theocrat, rogue and sorcerer, along with a wide selection of specializations.
- Command a variety of races. Pick your starting race and shape your people’s destiny using your leader’s unique skills.
- A brand-new tactical battle system renders each battlefield and siege in great detail; new rules include flanking and a massive set of special unit abilities.
- An epic story campaign with two playable factions;. Choose the mighty Commonwealth Empire or join the Court of the High Elves, founded after the reunion of the Dark Elves and Wood Elves.
- Compete online in extensive multiplayer modes and scenarios.
- High replay value through random maps, difficulty modes and tools allowing user created content.
Age of Wonders III is available right now for the PC via Steam, GOG.com, and a whole mess of other sites. The full game will cost you $39.99 USD.