A classic shooter franchise comes to the Nintendo Switch this Winter with R-Type Dimensions. But it’s a little different than the version you remember.
Is there another shooter series that’s as old or as we’ll-regarded as R-Type? I doubt it. And now the latest installment of the blastathon is on the way to Nintendo’s console.
Both the original R-Type and its sequel are included in the pack, and you’ll be able to play both games with either their classic looks or the revamped visual style. Aside from all of that, R-Type Dimensions also has some upgrades over previous releases.
“Full Power-Up” mode allows players to max out their ship’s weapon in the Infinite Mode. That sounds useful. Then there’s the Fast Forward, which will have you speeding up the action. Additionally, the Switch game will have achievements. Though just what that means we don’t know, since the Switch doesn’t feature a system-wide achievement system.
From Tozai games and published by Irem, R-Type Dimensions will hit the Switch this winter.
Here are some additional bullets on it, from the press release:
- Two complete games: includes all 8 original R-Type levels and all 6 original R-Type II levels
- Switch between hi-res 2D/3D graphics with revamped music, or play the classic versions with the push of a button
- Infinite Mode and Level Select: learn the levels inside and out for the perfect, 1CC runs
- Co-op Mode: 2 players can play together “couch co-op” style or add collision for competitive play
- Slow motion play function: weave through bullets and enemies with ease
- Custom controller configuration: change the button layout to match your play style