Growing the evolving experience that is Baldur’s Gate III, Larian Studios has delivered Patch 6, with a new area and class to play as.
Reopening the Gate
Two pretty big new inclusions highlight the sixth patch for Larian’s Baldur’s Gate III, the newest and long awaited entry in the RPG series. One delivers a new class to play as, while the other gives gamers even more of a quest, into a whole new area.
Starting with the class though, you’re going to get to cast some spells, as it’s the Sorcerer. While this new class delivers a lot of what you might imagine, they also have a signature ability called Metamagic.
With it, you can increase a spell’s range, duration, or hit two enemies simultaneously, among other powerful variations — making you a powerful and unpredictable presence in battle. Metamagic can be used alongside other casters for devastating effects, and it’s great fun in online co-op multiplayer!Larian
- Horrific Visage: A new Tadpole Action that makes your enemy bleed and allows the Sorcerer to leech a Sorcery Point off of them.
- Enlarge/Reduce: This new spell alters a character’s size, affecting their physical stats in the process.
- Chromatic Orb: A powerful new single-target nuke that allows Sorcerers to hurl a sphere of energy at their foes.
- Cloud of Daggers: This spell protects the caster, surrounding them in a cloud of flying daggers.
- Crown of Madness: As the name suggests, this spell sends an enemy mad, and can cause them to attack their nearby allies.
Along with the class itself, there are also a pair of sub-classes. As you’ll see, they’re pretty unique too, especially for a D&D game.
- Wild Magic: Wild Magic Sorcerers embrace chaos and chance, using their Tides of Chaos ability to manipulate the forces of fate. This ability allows them to gain advantage on attack rolls, ability checks, or saving throws, boosting their powers during combat. In turn, a Wild Magic Sorcerer can find themselves on the receiving end of a potential random effect. Examples include putting everyone around you on fire, gaining teleport as a bonus action or summoning a hostile mephit!
- Draconic Bloodline: Draconic Bloodline Sorcerers possess magical abilities passed down through their dragon ancestry. Their faces etched with colored scales, they wield powers that correspond to the dragon they descend from. A Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer whose blood has mingled with a Red Dragon will gain additional benefits for fire spells, while dragon ancestors of other color-types can offer abilities relating to Acid, Lightning, Cold, and Poison. Additionally, this subclass receives an extra hit point with every level gained, making them powerful adversaries.
More to explore
As mentioned, and on top of all that the new class delivers, Larian is also bringing Grymforge to Baldur’s Gate III. An ancient, massive fortress, Grymforge will reportedly provide hours more exploration and action for BG3 players.
Grymforge. A name all but forgotten, but for those taught to fear it. This ancient fortress lurks where the shadows of the Underdark grow bleakest, and where the rivers of magma run hottest. The past and present collide within these sinister corridors, exposing old secrets to new masters, and making harsh demands on all who dare journey there.
Gather your party and cross the Ebonlake to Grymforge. Face new challengers and new choices, each more intriguing than the last. But come prepared: in halls and chambers dark as these, you can’t trust just anyone. You’ve reached the crossroads, adventurer. Which path will you take?Larian
Along with all of that too, there are new weapons, and a monster graphics overhaul included. So if you’ve been playing Baldur’s Gate III, now’s the time to dive back in.
Baldur’s Gate III is out now on the PC, in Early Access form, and patch 6 is live and ready for play.