The Wii U exclusive version of Tecmo Koei’s hack’n’slash will arrive on console launch day with new features, a new payable character, and generally more of what you wanted from the game.
There are quite a few differences between the Wii U version and the original Xbox 360 and PS3 edition. Yes there are new characters, but there are also new weapons, a redesigned battle system, and an online multiplayer mode.
Here’s what you’ll find exclusive to Nintendo’s newest console:
- Ayane as a playable character: In previous versions of the game, Ayane appeared only briefly in one cut scene. Now players can help her progress through her own exclusive chapters using a special set of weapons and Ninpo attacks.
- Character-progression system: Using Karma points earned during game play, players can upgrade weapons and Ninpo, learn new moves, increase their HP level and unlock new character costumes.
- Ryu and Ayane playable in co-op mode: For the first time, players can use Ryu or Ayane to represent themselves in the game’s online co-op mode.
- Test of Valor battle areas: Each chapter includes a hidden battle area called Test of Valor. Upon finding hidden Crystal Skulls, players will be transported to these areas to face down waves of enemies and classic NINJA GAIDEN boss characters with new moves.
- Wii U GamePad Functionality: Using the Wii U GamePad, players can easily change weapons or Ninpo attacks, and also quickly reference the button inputs required for various combo attacks without ever stopping the action.
- Additional Playable Characters: After the launch of the game, additional playable characters will become available as free downloadable content. More information about these characters will be revealed at a later time.
- More Tenacious Enemies: The Wii U version of the game restores enemies’ ability to fight when severely wounded, requiring players to stay nimble with their battle strategies.
If you found the first version of Ninja Gaiden 3 that was released a little lacking, then the Wii U’s Gaiden might just sharpen your sword. Look for it on store shelves right alongside the console on November 18th.