The Dark Knight is 80 years old, Comic Con is 50. To celebrate both, DC and parent AT&T are bringing one heck of a Batman exhibit to this year’s event.
Gotham comes alive
The 50th annual SDCC, opening up shop in a little over a week’s time, is going to be a spectacle. There’s no way around that since it’s kind of always a spectacle. Add in that “50th” tag and it’s going to be even bigger than usual.
Now you can add on another big number though, that being 80. As in Batman’s 80th anniversary as a comic book hero. The Dark Knight’s star on the Hollywood walk of fame was just the beginning of that, as DC is planning a monster of a celebration at Comic Con.
Called The Batman Experience, the installation will be outside of the convention center, and will house activities aplenty.
Here’s what you can expect if you’re attending:
- The Dark Knight Dive is the centerpiece attraction of THE BATMAN EXPERIENCE and a one-of-a-kind VR skydiving experience into the Gotham City. By combining a skydive booth with the magic of VR goggles and a helmet in the shape of a Batman cowl, gamers and Batman fans will enjoy a 4D interactive experience. Visitors will virtually fly through Gotham City in pursuit of the Scarecrow, who in attempting to take over the city, unleashes his Fear gas and creates a harrowing journey for fans through Batman’s 80 years of friends and foes.
- The Batcave gaming lounge will feature all generations of Batman video and arcade games straight from the DC archives – examples include Warner Bros. titles such as Batman The Brave And The Bold (Wii or 3DS), LEGO Batman 3 (PS4), Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4) and Injustice 2 (PS4) – and are all available to play as part of THE BATMAN EXPERIENCE.
- Hundreds of rare pieces of iconic DC comic book art and large-scale film and television props, including several from Tim Burton’s groundbreaking “Batman” film such as the Batmobile and Batsuit worn by Michael Keaton. The original Batman feature film is celebrating its own 30th anniversary this year. Joining these classic pieces will be a new car created by “Wayne Technology” that will give fans a taste of their future entertainment experiences in autonomous cars with 5G.
- WHAAM! KABOOM! POW! The Rogue Gallery Rumble is an interactive punching bag experience that uses projection mapping and lights to trigger classic and iconic animations and sounds throughout the space.
- A special 6-foot Batman Black & White Statue designed by acclaimed artist and writer Todd McFarlane will be unveiled on July 17, marking the 100th statue in the line. The one-of-a-kind life-size version of the 100th statue will be displayed throughout SDCC along with the other 99 Batman Black & White figures from DC Collectibles.
The Batman Experience will be located at at the Comic-Con Museum in San Diego’s Balboa Park. Its doors will crack at 10 am (Pacific), and it’ll run from Thursday the 18th through Sunday, July 21st.