Some of the greatest RPGs of all time are coming back around again for the PC. The Baldur’s Gate series, Icewind Dale and more are getting Enhanced.
If you’ve played any of these games the first time around, you already know why this is good news. The Baldur’s Gate series alone represents some of the greatest cRPGs ever. When you add in Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights you get a collection to rule them all.
And that’s just what Skybound and Beamdog have planned for the PC later this year.
The games will be heading to the Xbox One, PS4, and the Nintendo Switch. Yes, that’s freaking awesome. As you’d expect, console versions of these games will mean special control schemes. Developer Beamdog is well aware of that. But you can expect much more.
The re-releases of all the games in the set will be upgraded with:
- native support for high-resolution widescreen displays
- controls optimized for console controllers
- new standalone content
- additional characters and classes
- new voice sets
- expanded character creation options
- improved multiplayer functionality
- redesigns of the UI and UX
- bug fixes
- balance changes
- …and more
That’s a heaping helping of upgrades. Many of which might make these games a relatively fresh experience, even for those who’ve played them to death in the past.
As to how you’ll be able to get ahold of these titles, there are a few options. They’ll be available both digitally and physically as well as in a collected edition. Neverwinter Nights sounds like it’ll get a standalone release as well.
That game arrives on December 3rd in the US, and on the 6th elsewhere. As for the rest, there’ll be a boxed version made available for all consoles much earlier. That one will hit on September 24th, and run you $49.99 USD.
Included will be:
- The Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition Pack: Celebrating the series’ 20th anniversary, the original Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and its sequel, Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition, return with all DLC and restored quest content, as well as the Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear expansion, featuring new original content developed by Beamdog to bridge the two games.
- Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition / Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition: Two must-play games and all their DLC in one package – the chilling Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition, plus its expansions, and the enhanced edition of 1999’s RPG of the Year, Planescape: Torment.
- Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition: The 2002 Computer RPG of the Year and all its DLC deliver 10 standalone D&D-based adventures featuring co-op and online multiplayer.