Ready for more? Capcom has revealed that the fifth and final season of Street Fighter V content will add characters from Alpha, SFIII, and more.
Beat ’em up, guy
Well if you thought that Street Fighter V couldn’t possible bulk up its roster any more, think again. Capcom took the wraps off of season 5 today, with a series of announcements that will see a healthy dose of new content arrive for the fighting game.
First and foremost, there are the fighters. New challengers include combatants from the Alpha saga, Street Fighter III, and even Rival Schools. There’s a mystery fighter too, though there’s no hints at who that could be just yet.
Here’s who’s confirmed:
- Dan – A mainstay from the Street Fighter Alpha series and last appearing in Street Fighter IV, Dan Hibiki will be bringing his (over) confidence and iconic “Taunt” to Street Fighter V. A training partner of Ryu and Ken, Dan considers himself well-equipped to “school” other players with his unique Saikyo-ryu (“Strongest Style”) fighting style. Release timing: Winter 2020
- Rose – Rose is a fortune telling fan-favorite character who also previously starred in the Alpha series and Street Fighter IV. Using her tarot cards, Rose will arrive armed with a variety of unique special moves and plans to channel all of her Soul Power energy into Street Fighter V. Release timing: Spring 2021
- Oro – Last appearing in Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Oro is an ancient martial arts master who exists as an immortal hermit. He restricts one of his arms from use in order to give his opponents an advantage, but that won’t stop Oro from being one of the most well-trained and powerful fighters in Street FighterV. Release timing: Summer 2021
- Akira – First introduced in Capcom’s 1997 fighting game Rival Schools: United by Fate, Akira Kazama is preparing to make her Street Fighter debut. As an acquaintance of Sakura, Akira has previous ties to the Street Fighter universe and is gearing up to bring her biker style look and clever gimmicks to Street Fighter V. Release timing: Summer 2021
- Final Character (TBA) – Release timing: Fall 2021
Yes, there’s more. There’s also a ton of extras coming up, including “over 30 new costumes and four new stages”. According to the press release, those will include stages for Rose and Akira, as well as a pair of Capcom Pro Tour stages that are inbound for this winter.
Taken all together, the update beefs the game up to include “40 characters, 34 stages, and over 200 costumes”. No matter how you feel about SFV, and it has been controversial in the past, that’s pretty impressive.
Taking advantage of all of this is Street Fighter V: Champion Edition. While you can definitely upgrade earlier releases in the SFV line as much as you want, Champion Edition includes everything up to current.
If you have yet to dive into SFV at all, that’s the version to get. And fortunately enough, you can grab a copy of that most recent release on sale right now. Digital versions are on sale for 25% off via the PS Store and Steam on the PC.
If you’re happy with a cheaper, yet significantly less “complete” version, you can also get a full 60% off the base edition of the game right now. And if you’d like to try everything out for free, there’s a limited time trial as well. That’s under way right now.