And what’s a reveal without 20 minutes of gameplay from the upcoming strategy release?
“A Warlord once told me that a nation at peace was a nation breeding cowards to be enslaved. Warlords rule by the Law of the Sword, establishing a chain of command based on battlefield glory and duels to the death. Their armies consist of highly specialized, mobile troops and powerful beasts trained to do their bidding. Warlords are master tacticians, and often legendary warriors unto themselves. Though they tend to trust the power of their hardened armies over supernatural forces, Warlords have mastered arcane skills that strengthen their armies. They instill mythical courage in their own troops, while striking terror in the hearts of their foes.. ” –“Gifted Lords of the Third Age” by Ralinstone Pedant, Chronicler
There’s a whole lot there to like if you’re a strategic thinking fantasy fan. One of the most interesting things too about AoWIII is that there’s a pretty hefty RPG heart hiding inside this otherwise traditional strategy title’s shell.
Triumph Studios is really trying to expand the genre, a genre that’s more or less been the same for decades by the way, and that’s a very good thing for gamers. It’s especially good when it looks like its bring done this well.
As you saw int he video above too, the classes are deep and really well implemented with tons of special abilities and perks. Here’s a quick rundown of what the Warlord looks like (on paper at least):
Examples of Warlord Class Units include:
- Mounted Archer – This unique cavalry unit can shoot arrows with deadly aim whilst mounted. The Mount type depends on the race where the archer is produced.
- Monster Hunter: Wielding both a greatsword and crossbow, this special operations unit is skilled in killing a great number of monster types. Take them on your treasure hunting missions!
- Warbreed – The result of a terrifying cross-breeding program, these Warbreed combine the best traits from Hulking Ogres and the race from the city the Warbreed is produced in.
- Manticore Rider – The ultimate airborne cavalry.
Warlord Skill Examples:
- Killing Spree – Target friendly unit gains additional movement and action points upon killing an enemy unit in combat.
- Steadfast Ward – Steadfast prevents a unit’s health from dropping below 1 hitpoint for a limited amount of time.
- Conqueror’s Feast – The ‘Enemy in domain’ and ‘Enemy at the gates’ morale penalties are twice as effective against the caster’s enemies. In addition, the caster’s units require less upkeep cost outside of their Empire’s domain.
- Relentless Army – Bestows all friendly units with Tireless. Tireless units don’t spend action points for attacks of opportunity or retaliation.
- Global Assault – All your units gain Charge, First Strike, and are promoted to the gold medal rank. All units produced in your cities gain gold medals as well.
Sharpen those blades warlords, Age of Wonders III hits the PC on March 31st.