It’s almost Free Comic Book Day, and we’ve got the full rundown on what Marvel and DC will have in stores for you to take home… free, of course.
There’s nothing quite like Free Comic Book Day if you’re a big fan of floppies. The yearly May “holiday” is effectively a combined outreach from comic book publishers to try to pull in new readers. And what better way to do that, than with free comics?
So every year, comic book shops around the world take part in the event, each one handing out baskets of gratis books. As mentioned, these comics come from a wide array of publishing houses, including the big two.
This year, both Marvel and DC Comics will have a solid assortment of stuff out there. Books that include major heroes and villains like Spider-Man, Catwoman, and the Avengers will be available. And that’s a list that also includes a special Year of the Villain sampler from DC, showcasing their biggest 2019 event.
You can actually get a slight jump on things too, if you’re a DC fan. The Year of the Villain special is available right now, and is readable online here.
As for the rest, here’s what you can expect to find till the supplies run dry:
- In FCBD AVENGERS #1, industry superstars Jason Aaron and Stefano Caselli spin in all-new tale for Marvel’s main AVENGERS series, while SAVAGE AVENGERS, from Gerry Duggan and Mike Deodato, creates one of the most dynamic, and deadly versions of the Avengers ever!
- In FCBD SPIDER-MAN #1, creators Tom Taylor, Saladin Ahmed, and Cory Smith take the superstar heroes of the Spider-Verse in a shocking new direction, with a story that will build to one of Marvel’s most fantastic and epic tales! Meanwhile, Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman remind us that “everyone is a target” by bringing absolute terror to the pages of this year’s FCBD with a prelude to ABSOLUTE CARNAGE – the most fearsome event in the Marvel Universe!
Both FCBD AVENGERS #1 and FCBD SPIDER-MAN #1 are available in comic stores everywhere on May 4th. In addition to the comic, select retailers will receive FREE Avengers promo buttons highlighting the dynamic and stunning cover art from FCBD AVENGERS #1 by Ed McGuinness, available while supplies last!Marvel Comics press release
- Year of the Villain #1: Evil is winning! Lex Luthor and The Legion of Doom conspire with Cosmic Gods, bending mankind toward a dark destiny. Elsewhere, the scourge of Leviathan spreads unchecked, seizing power in every corner of the world. And all the while the Batman Who Laughs busies himself in the shadows, aligned with no one—yet with sinister plans for all.
- Under the Moon A Catwoman Tale: When 15-year-old Selina Kyle, the girl who will grow up to be Catwoman, becomes homeless, she must confront questions of who she is and who she will become. From Lauren Myracle, the New York Times bestselling author of books like ttfn and ttyl, comes a new graphic novel that tells the story of a teenage Catwoman as she struggles to find her own identity while living on the streets of Gotham City.
- Dear Justice League: Does Superman ever make mistakes? What was Wonder Woman’s eleventh birthday like? Does Aquaman smell like fish? In this new middle-grade graphic novel, iconic heroes are asked questions both big and small, and when they are not busy saving the world, the Justice League even finds time to respond. Their honest and humorous answers will surprise and delight readers of any age, as it turns out that being a superhero is not too different from being a kid.
- Teen Titans: Raven:
- When a tragic accident takes the life of seventeen-year-old Raven Roth’s foster mom—and Raven’s memory—she moves to New Orleans to live with her foster mother’s family and finish her senior year of high school. From the #1 New York Times best-selling co-author of Beautiful Creatures Kami Garcia and artist Gabriel Picolo comes this first graphic novel in the Teen Titans series for DC Ink, Teen Titans: Raven.