There’s a lot happening in the new Marvel vs Capcom Infinite trailer. Sure there’s Ultron/Sigma, but there’s also mystical enemies, a Venom-kaiju, and… Civil War.
Well that escalated quickly
I mean, correct me if I’m wrong, but MvC titles usually have what amounts to zero story. And yet here we are with Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, and we’re looking at -at my count- five narratives going on.
Sure some of them center around common themes, but it looks like the characters in this one will have to deal with:
- A venomized kaiju of some kind
- and a Civil War (thanks Iron Man)
Man, when Capcom goes big on something, they go big. Of course, all of this will be centered around some very nice looking visuals, and a fighting engine that’s presumably up to snuff. I have to imagine that it will be – this is Capcom after all.
And I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that it’s pretty darn nice, as a fighting game fan, to see al the emphasis on story over the last few years. It started with NetherRealm really, ands their Injustice and Mortal Kombat titles, but Capcom looks like they’re more than up to carrying on that recent trend. Let’s hope that it crosses over into the inevitable next Street Fighter title as well.
As for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, that’s set to hit the Xbox One and PS4 on September 19th.
Here’s some of what you can expect from it:
- Offline Modes and Features:
- Story – puts players at the center of a fierce battle as heroes from both universes come together to stop Ultron Sigma, the combined form of two robotic villains.
- Arcade – recreates the classic arcade experience. Keep winning to move forward and confront the final boss in an epic showdown of skills.
- Mission – players can do various tutorial missions, or try their hand at advanced character-specific challenges.
- Training – set up a training area with various parameters and hone skills to improve fighting abilities.
- Vs. Player 2 – go head-to-head against another player locally.
- Vs. CPU – play solo against an AI-controlled opponent.
- Collection – the Dr. Light Database contains numerous unlockable items, including cut scenes from the story mode, character/stage information, concept artwork and character/stage audio tracks.
- Online Modes and Features:
- Ranked Match – battle other players online to advance in the rankings.
- Casual Match – battle other players online without the results affecting the rankings.
- Beginners League – a special league fought between players of Rank 14 or lower.
- Lobby – search for or create a lobby where up to 8 players can engage in simultaneous player-vs-player matches.
- Rankings – view the rankings of players from all over the world.
- Replay Settings – configure replay settings and view replays.